Thermal Effect of ExternalCladding Materials on The Microclimate in Urban Environment
It has been found recently, that many architects are using new imported materials for external cladding, which might cause an increase in air temperature of the urban environment, and creating new microclimate thermally differ from other places according to the type of cladding materials used on building façade , especially in commercial streets, which is believed that most people feels changes in thermal difference in commercial streets more than the difference in residential districts, where people are usually indoors.
So due to the lack of information about the effect of such material on urban environment, the paper aimed to contribute in discovering the effect of thermal reflectivity and emissivity of number of cladding materials commonly used by local designers, in order that designers can have useful information, so that they will be free to choose the proper and the best suitable materials.
For getting better and more realistic results, an experimental model of a part of commercial street represents 8 three story buildings Scale 1:10 has been built on the roof of Department of Architecture, University of Technology , Baghdad, Iraq during August & September 2012.
The selected scale model has been chosen because it is suitable for taking measurements with the available infra red image camera (Fluke Came Ti32), the electronic digital thermometers as well as the suitability for the available thickness of selected cladding materials The skeleton of the commercial street model has designed in a way that it can help in changing and testing easily any type of cladding material.
The experiments for six common cladding materials, shows that the material with highest thermal effect on microclimate during day time is the white aluminum composite panels, and the least effect is by using ruff white cement rendering.
It has to be pointed outher that usingthe experimental modelin this studyis closer to realitythanmathematical calculationseven when reducing the size ofthe model, due tothe fact thatmodel factor is influenceddirectly proportionalto the model scale, and because we could not find commercial streetswith uniform and similarcladding material
- الدوري, د.مجيد عبد الله, "الخواص الحرارية للمواد البنائية المحلية في العراق", قسم العمارة والبيئة , مركز بحوث البناء, مجلس البحث العلمي, 1988.
- HaiderTaha, David Sailor, HashemAkbari, "High-Albedo Materials for Reducing Building Cooling Energy Use",Energy&Enviromental Division, Lawrence Berkeley laboratory, University of California,Berkeley,CA94720, 1992.
- الوكيل, د.شفق ألعوضي. السراج , د.محمد عبد الله, "المناخ وعمارة المناطق الحارة",مركز الدراسات التخطيطية والمعمارية, الطبعة 3, القاهرة 1989.
- عبد حسن, د.سوزان وإبراهيم, سماح عبد العزيز, "اثر استخدام مواد التغليف المركبة في تحقيق الوحدة والجذب البصري للأبنية ",المجلة العراقية للهندسة المعمارية, الجامعة التكنولوجية, المجلد 6, العدد21,20,19, 2010.
-Kannamma, "Optimizing Heat Gain By Building Materials Through Landscape Elements", International Journal of Management, IT and Engineering, Volume2, Issue5,May 2013.
" dictionary definition of reflectivity "6-
" dictionary definition of emissivity" 7-
- Hugo &cerd, "New Coatings With Specific Properties in the Near and the Far Infrared", presented at the 8thNurberg congress, Creative Advance in Coatings Technology, April 2005 in Nurberg, Germany. The Congress is sponsored by FPL, PRA & the Vincentz Network.
- عزام, احمد هادي حسن, " الخصائص الهندسية للطابوق", هندسة البيئة, جامعة بابل,2012.
You are free to use the work, but you have to attribute (refer to) the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN grants you the right to publish the metadata of the journal, it's issues and articles under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Author(s) hold the copyright of their aricles without restrictions. However, IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN holds publishing rights for articles and their revisions once the article is published.
Authors can archive pre-prints (ie pre-refereeing) and post-prints (i.e. final draft post-refereeing) versions of the work they submitted to IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN using non-for-profit open-access servers whether on author's personal website and/or institutional repositories including the university or research center where the author work.. For post-prints, only the IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s as-published PDF version is permitted and the published source (IRAQI J. ARCHIT & PLANN’s website) must be clearly acknowledged within the archiving webpage.